Kaplan Publishing, the publisher of a broad range of educational and consumer books by and for nurses, physicians, paramedics, and other healthcare workers, is now accepting stories for a new and exciting anthology, To The Rescue: Stories from Healthcare Workers at the Scene of Disaster.
About To The Rescue:
Devastating fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters are ongoing concerns in every part of the world. The personal stories of people who go to the scene and interact with survivors will be of great interest to both the world community and to people who work in these fields.
To The Rescue: Stories from Healthcare Workers at the Scene of Disaster is an anthology of stories by healthcare workers, from a variety of specialties, who have gone to the scenes of disasters, whether in their hometowns or across the world.
Kaplan wants to tell your story.
- If you are a nurse, physician, paramedic, or other healthcare professional, please share your unique experience of working during a flood, a fire, a hurricane, a tsunami, a mudslide, a famine, an earthquake, or a conflict, and what it was like to interact with those directly affected by these disaster events.
- Tell us how disaster response/relief work has helped to shape you into the person that you are today. Your story shouldn’t be a medical report—make us laugh, make us cry; allow your words to open the doors to your experiences for the reader.
- All stories must be true and previously unpublished stories from your personal experience. Exceptions for previously published stories may be made if you retain the copyright.
- The tone of your story should be inspiring, poignant and, when appropriate, humorous.
- Submit stories in Microsoft Word, 12-point Times New Roman, double-spaced with a story title and word count.
- Each submission should include your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Tell a story that has a beginning, middle, and end. Write from your heart about a life-changing or life-defining experience.
- Authors may submit multiple stories.
- All manuscripts selected for publication will be subject to editing.
- Submission Deadline: February 21, 2009
- Submissions can be sent via email or mail to:
Cite the story title in the subject line. You can type the story into the body of the email or send an attachment in Microsoft Word as outlined above. Only one submission per email.
Kaplan Publishing - To The Rescue
P.O. Box 51
Wever, IA 52658
- Payment: $100 if published, along with two complimentary copies of the book
- Story Length: 1,000 – 2,500 words
- Point of View: First person